The Common School Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees at The Common School are dedicated volunteers committed to helping the School advance its mission. We are grateful for their leadership and counsel. The Board of Trustees is responsible for a wide range of functions necessary for the continued operation of the school. These duties include overseeing the school’s financial management; instituting, promoting, and directing major fundraising for the school; supporting, evaluating and working with Co-Heads of School; communicating with the school community regarding work of the Board; setting strategic vision; assessing annually the Board’s effectiveness and performance; and working on improving and expanding the skills, experience and knowledge of Board members.
2023-2024 Board of Trustees
Rosemary Agoglia – Board Chair, Chair of Executive Committee, Alum Caregiver, Former Faculty
Anna Coldham – Board Vice Chair, Caregiver, Alum ’91
Sarah Zelechoski – Board Secretary, Caregiver
Katie Poff – Board Co-Treasurer, Chair of Finance Committee, Alum ’00
Brian Katzman – Board Co-Treasurer, Caregiver
Julli Jaramillo – Board Member at Large, Caregiver
Amy Hudson Gaubinger – Board Member at Large, Caregiver
Emma O’Neal – General Trustee, Caregiver
Orlee Marini-Rapoport – General Trustee, Alum ’13
Bud Lichtenstein – General Trustee, Former Head of School
Bin Wang – Wing Representative, Caregiver
Mika Hoffman – General Trustee, Alum ’79
Cathy Cohen – Chair of Transition Committee, Alum Caregiver, Prior Board Chair
Anthony Prinzivalli – Chair of Advancement Committee, Alum ’02
Buffy Aries – Chair of Trusteeship Committee, Alum Caregiver
Emma Simmons – Faculty Representative, Chair of Equity and Inclusion Committee, Alum ’94, Alum Caregiver
In addition to Board members, many other people connected to the school volunteer their time to support the work of the Board. There are different types of volunteer opportunities depending on your interests and time availability. For more information about being on the Board or Board-related opportunities, please contact email@example.com.
Why do people join The Common School Board of Trustees?
A variety of reasons, often multiple, bring people to the Board. Reasons shared include:
- Wanting to make a significant contribution to an organization dedicated to engaging students in a progressive education with a deep commitment to social justice and the environment.
- Building finance and/or other leadership skills to further their professional goals.
- Looking for a way to apply their professional skills and/or life experiences to a mission driven organization.
- Sense of purpose; living their values through community service.
- Being part of a collaborative team working to figure out solutions to nuanced problems.
- Being lifelong learners and getting energy from learning and growing.
- Wanting to give back to an organization that impacted them in significant ways.
As with many things, what a person gets out of being on the Board is driven in large part by what they put in. Engaged participation and contributions to the work of the Board and its committees results in personal growth and the satisfaction derived from making a significant difference in furthering the mission of the school.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions, including a list of Board Committees.
Check out these articles about the benefits of volunteering for a non-profit board.
- Six Ways Serving on a Nonprofit Board Can Impact Your Career (Forbes Magazine)
- Benefits of Volunteering: Ten Reasons to Volunteer (Indeed.com)
If you are interested in supporting the work of The Common School Board or finding out more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.