Our Commitment to Diversity
The Common School is committed to building and sustaining a community that is richly diverse. We believe that our students benefit when their school community includes a wide range of family structures, racial, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, and students with various abilities and talents. We value a similar range in our faculty and staff.
In keeping with our progressive mission, we strive to continue and extend our diversity work: to explore and value our differences and similarities; to challenge stereotypes; and to respect the dignity of each person and the cultures, communities, and belief systems that sustain them.
Our goals are to:
- cultivate diversity throughout our student body, our staff, and our curriculum;
- provide multiple perspectives, identify and reject stereotypes and prejudices;
- develop an age-appropriate sense of social responsibility and commitment to social justice;
- build an inclusive and welcoming school community where each person is valued and respected.
We believe that pursuing these goals involves ongoing courageous conversations and active engagement from students, parents, teachers, administrators and board members.
Our graduates become…
- Confident and impassioned learners
- Constructive, creative problem solvers
- Compassionate, courageous, and responsible members of our society
- Committed stewards of the environment