An open gate policy
As the morning sun rises over fields and farmland, a child pushes open a wooden gate and starts a new day. At The Common School, students stream through this gate each school day, eager to join their friends and teachers. But this simple, rough-hewn gate marks more than just a boundary; it is the gateway to a world of opportunity. It is here our students take the first step every day toward a life sustained by a love of learning.
Come see for yourself. We’ll meet you at the gate.
Prior to submitting an application for your child, we invite you to visit The Common School and get a feel for our programs, community and mission.
1. CAREGIVER TOUR AND MEETING WITH ADMISSIONS STAFF
Check out our campus and learning spaces, learn about the School’s philosophy, have questions answered and share information about your child. This step in the admissions process is designed for caregivers only, however if childcare presents an obstacle please contact the admissions office.
Please plan to spend an hour with us. Click here to request additional information or an appointment with Co-Head of School and Director of Admissions, Dana Kadish, or call us at 413-256-8989.
Applications may be submitted at any time, and must be accompanied by all written school records, care giver evaluations and specialist evaluations (as applicable to each child) to be considered complete. There is a $40.00 application fee.
Parental permission form for school records >
Please print and deliver or forward the appropriate evaluation form to your child’s current teacher or caregiver:
For children in pre-school – grade 1 >
For children in grades 2 – 5 >
3. CHILD VISIT
Having your child visit the School is the final step in the admissions process. Visits are arranged in the beginning of February. Our youngest children (Nursery – Primary 1) visit in small groups or individually. Beginning in Primary 2, children visit individually. The goal of the visit is to have us become acquainted with your child, to get a sense of their developmental level and learning style, and to insure that your child knows a little about the School and what to expect if admitted.
Please note due to health and safety precautions, applicant visits are being considered on a case by case basis.
Admissions decisions begin on February 28 of each year. A contract and deposit are required to confirm your child’s admission.
- We seek to promote diversity in our student and family body.
- Priority is given to siblings of enrolled children, and to children of staff and alumni.
- We look for indications that The Common School is well-suited to meet the needs of a particular applicant.
- For children with special needs, careful consideration is given on an individual basis to determine if the School has the resources to support the applicant.
- Children need to have turned three years old by September 1 to enter the Nursery program, and five years old by September 1 to enter Primary 1.